Mom And Son On Run
  • On Oct 8, 2013
    Justin from NY Asked Note: This answer was provided prior to the change to planDisney and may still contain references to Disney Parks Moms Panel.

    My 12yo son is battling leukemia (currently wheelchair-bound, but able to walk short distances). The DAS can helpful, but I understand that there is a separate program for children with life-threatening illnesses. Can you give more info?

    Hi Justin!

    Bless your son's heart. You have heard correct, the new Disability Access Service (DAS) Card goes into effect October 9, 2013. I spoke to a Cast Member at Disney World on a recent trip. She told me there will be a separate program for children with life-threatening illnesses. However, those programs would be handled through Make-A-Wish or other organizations that sponsors those types of trips prior to their trips and not at Disney World.

    If your son has difficulty waiting in line, you can reduce your wait time by using FASTPASS, FastPass+ or with a DAS. You can obtain a DAS by visiting Guest Relations when you visit the first theme park of your trip. You will not be required to bring any medical documentation regarding his condition but your son will need to be present to obtain the DAS to have his photo taken for the card so be prepared for this to take a few minutes.

    Once you obtain a DAS, you can go to an attraction and see a Cast Member to get a return time to enter the FASTPASS or other alternate entrance if necessary. Your son will not need to be present to get a return time for attractions. The DAS differs from a FASTPASS in that there is no window return time so there is no pressure to make it back to that attraction within a certain time frame. You can only obtain a return time for one attraction at a time but you can go and get another DAS return time for a different attraction once you've finish one. FASTPASS and FastPass+ can be used in addition to the DAS return time. Please keep in mind that there may be some changes along the way for the new DAS system before your trip.

    I would suggest discussing your son's specific needs when you are obtaining the DAS. You could also contact Disney ahead of time by email at or calling 407-560-2547.

    Wishing you minnie magical memories :-) Allison V.
thumbnail image for Allison

Meet the Panelist: Allison, Georgia

I'm a Disney-fanatic! I made my first trip to Disney World the year it opened and have grown up crazy for all things Disney. As the Mom of a son with Cerebral Palsy, I love providing recommendations for families traveling with a special needs member. Learn More About Allison

Didn't find what you were looking for?

To submit your question, please sign in now if you have not already done so.

Ask a QuestionOpens the Ask a Question dialog box.

Update Browser

For a better experience browsing this website, please download an updated version of Internet Explorer.

Or you can continue browsing without updating.