Touch of Disney Couple with masks
  • On Dec 27, 2021
    Annette from MO Asked Please note that experiences, policies, pricing and other offerings are subject to change and may have changed since the date of this answer.

    I live and work in La Jolla California at the VA hospital. I do not have a california license but I do have a government issued VA name tag that has a chip. I am too scared to drive so I didnt get a license. Can I use my VA government issued ID to get in?

    Hi Annette!

    Welcome to planDisney! Thank you for bringing this great Disneyland Resort planning question to us hEAR!

    You asked a very good question. However, there are two 'Disney ways' it could be interpreted right now, and without the ability to have a back-and-fourth chat about which answer you're seeking, I'm going answer both! Ha!

    If you're asking about the initial rule that was in place when Disneyland Park and Disney's California Adventure Park reopened in April of 2021 after the historic pandemic closure, which stipulated that only California residents could return to the magic for the time being: I'm so happy to report that guests from all over the world are once again welcome to Mickey's original house, zero ID establishing residency required. You might have to use an ID to validate your park tickets, which can be done with most photo IDs. However, if you're of age and would like to purchase an adult beverage then you will need a government issued, non-expired ID with your birthday on it. If you still have your previous state's non-expired drivers license that will work, or even a US passport. But I doubt your VA ID would do the trick as I've been denied several times with a Military Spouse ID.

    If you're referring to the wonderful Southern California Resident Ticket promotional offer then things are a bit more tricky. Residency will need to be verified with these tickets at the time of park entry. College students and Military families stationed in Southern California (two groups who are not required to get a CA license while they temporarily live in the state) are able to get in on this deal by showing their student or Military ID along with orders, a SoCal lease agreement, and/or a recent utility bill in their name. You might be able to also go this route with your VA ID if you're new-ish to the state or are here on a temporary or long-term assignment with documents saying such along with a lease agreement or utility bill. However, if you cannot prove California residency then you'll be asked to pay the difference to upgrade this offer to that day's ticket price.

    Pro Tip: If California is your new permanent home then your best bet would be getting a State of California ID card - which is basically a drivers license saying you don't drive - but complies with everything else, from ordering a drink to the Real ID Act and even qualifying for Disneyland Resort California Resident Discounts!

    I hope this helped to clEAR things up a bit, Annette, and if you have any more questions send them our way. We're All Ears!

    ~Kristen N.
thumbnail image for Kristen

Meet the Panelist: Kristen, Texas

Hi, I'm Kristen! I'm a mom to the best ride buddy and a military spouse who loves keeping up with the latest Disney Parks news. Trips to Disneyland and Walt Disney World have always been fun, but now that I'm the parent AND the planner every moment is that much more treasured.  I am so honored and excited to be able to share tips I've picked up, pass on fun factoids I've learned, and help create magical moments for your vacation of a lifetime!  Learn More About Kristen

Related Video

  • thumbnail image for 5 Tips for Making the Most of your Disneyland Resort Vacation

Didn't find what you were looking for? Click the Ask a Question button to open the Ask a Question dialogue box. If you are not logged in a dialogue box will appear to signin in order to ask a question.

To submit your question, please log in now if you have not already done so.

Ask a QuestionOpens the Ask a Question dialog box.

Update Browser

For a better experience browsing this website, please download an updated version of Internet Explorer.

Or you can continue browsing without updating.