Mom And Son Giraffe
  • On Mar 17, 2012
    Amy from KY Asked Note: This answer was provided prior to the change to planDisney and may still contain references to Disney Parks Moms Panel.

    You Guys RoCk! We have an 8yr old Type I Diabetic (Insulin Dependent), would we be able to utilize a DGAC in the Parks? If so, how do we go about obtaining one? We always travel with a letter from our child's endocrinologist if they need documentation. Thx

    Hi, Amy!  You can absolutely use a Guest Assistance Card to help better accommodate your child's special needs as a result of this diagnosis.  The thing that will be most helpful to the cast members is to know how they might best be able to suit the needs of your child in dealing with this particular illness.

    I know sometimes, standing for long periods can be difficult for people with diabetes, so the card may enable the cast members to find an alternative to standing in the long lines.  They might offer you a place to sit while you wait or provide another accommodation that will help keep your child from standing so long.

    I've been able to request seating closer to a restroom in restaurants (which I needed to visit quite frequently right after I was diagnosed!!), and having the guest assistance card may also be helpful in the event that you have to get out of the queue to make a restroom run unexpectedly.  For some people with diabetes, the heat can also cause your blood sugars to drop, so in some cases, they may be able to offer you a shaded are where you can wait for an attraction.

    When you go to get the guest assistance card, it's not so much the diagnosis they need but what they can do to help make your child's trip a bit more magical.  If your doctor's note explains what they can do to better accommodate her specific conditions, that would be perfect!

    Have a great vacation!
thumbnail image for Anna

Meet the Panelist: Anna, New Jersey

My name is Anna and I am a wife, mother to three daughters and a son-in-law, and earning my Grandmom ears. I'm a law student and former teacher. I have planned vacations for all sorts celebrations, but really enjoy DVC vacations, helping military families, and assisting those with special dietary needs.    Learn More About Anna

Didn't find what you were looking for?

To submit your question, please sign in now if you have not already done so.

Ask a QuestionOpens the Ask a Question dialog box.

Update Browser

For a better experience browsing this website, please download an updated version of Internet Explorer.

Or you can continue browsing without updating.