Child in wheelchair watching parade
  • On Apr 29, 2020
    Darren Asked Note: This answer was provided prior to the change to planDisney and may still contain references to Disney Parks Moms Panel.

    how do i get a disability placard for parking as my son has diabetes and struggles with cognitive issues due to blood sugar levels

    ChEARs, Darren! 

    Welcome to the Disney Parks Moms Panel. Thanks for stopping by with your question today!

    I am so excited to hEAR you’re planning a trip to Walt Disney World Resort with your family! With so many enchanting components to create your ideal vacation, I’m sure you’ve been thinking about the exciting FastPass+ selections you’ll be making as well as the delicious cuisine you’ll be treating yourself to! Walt Disney World Resort offers so many wonderful amenities to help make your family’s vacation as magical as can be! 

    While you’re unable to use a disability placard for parking without an official disabled parking sign, there are other options to assist your son. In order to park in the designated parking area for Guests with disabilities, a valid parking permit is required. If that is not an option for you, I would look into Preferred Parking. Preferred Parking has a specific area close to the entrance of each park and is usually around the same area as the designated spot for Guests with disabilities. Preferred parking a car can cost anywhere from $45 to $50 a day, and keep in mind prices are subject to change. My friend and fellow Panelist, Sarah B., told me she opted for Preferred parking for a relative with mobility disabilities and the Parking Attendant Cast Members have a courtesy wheelchair that they can bring to your row. You can then bring the wheelchair to the entrance of the Theme Park where you can choose to rent an Electric Conveyance Vehicle (ECV) should you need it. These are available at all four Theme Parks.

    Darren, did you know that Walt Disney World Resort provides excellent Services for Guests with Disabilities? For Guests who are unable to wait in a conventional queue due to a disability, I would encourage you to look into the Disability Access Service Card (DAS). You will need to go to Guest Relations with your family and they will help get you set up if this is something your son could benefit from. 

    I hope you and your family have the most magical vacation at The Most Magical Place on Earth, Darren!

thumbnail image for Aena

Meet the Panelist: Aena, Texas

Hi friends! Consider me your own Fairy Godmother, full of helpful tips to make your Walt Disney World Resort vacation magical. I'm Aena, wife to my Prince Charming, mom to future Imagineers, and forever a kid at heart. I call Walt Disney World...I mean, Texas home, and spend my time singing Disney tunes. One of my favorite things to do is to stay on property and explore everything the resorts have to offer. I'd love to help you find the best Instagram-worthy spots for your Walt Disney World Resort vacation! Learn More About Aena

Related Video

  • thumbnail image for Must-Dos at Magic Kingdom

Didn't find what you were looking for?

To submit your question, please sign in now if you have not already done so.

Ask a QuestionOpens the Ask a Question dialog box.

Update Browser

For a better experience browsing this website, please download an updated version of Internet Explorer.

Or you can continue browsing without updating.