• On Oct 28, 2014
    Colleen from PA Asked Note: This answer was provided prior to the change to planDisney and may still contain references to Disney Parks Moms Panel.

    Experiences, policies, pricing and other offerings are subject to change and may have changed since the date of this answer.

    I have a 3 day hopper for Nov. after reading other posts it seems I can go to guest services and upgrade to an AP by paying the difference? It's that simple? What should I take with me, do I need my id?

    Hi Colleen:

    Welcome to the Disney Parks Moms Panel.  It is actually that simple!  To upgrade your Magic Your Way Theme Park Ticket all you need to do is visit guest services at the entrance to any of the four theme parks and a Cast Member will be more than happy to help.  You will need to pay the difference in price between your existing ticket and the Annual Pass.  I would suggest bringing your identification, as well as your existing ticket in order to expedite the process.  

    Please let me know if you have any other questions, I would be happy to help.

thumbnail image for Stephanie

Meet the Panelist: Stephanie, Ontario

I'm a Canadian mom with so many wonderful memories at Walt Disney World Resort!  I would love to use my experience in  traveling with toddlers, children, tweens and guests with limited mobility to help others experience all the magic Disney has to offer. Learn More About Stephanie

Didn't find what you were looking for? Click the Ask a Question button to open the Ask a Question dialogue box. If you are not logged in a dialogue box will appear to signin in order to ask a question.

To submit your question, please sign in now if you have not already done so.

Ask a QuestionOpens the Ask a Question dialog box.

Update Browser

For a better experience browsing this website, please download an updated version of Internet Explorer.

Or you can continue browsing without updating.