Three Generations Aboard Ship; fireworks; night
  • On Mar 2, 2011
    Kristie from NE Asked Note: This answer was provided prior to the change to planDisney and may still contain references to Disney Parks Moms Panel.

    Experiences, policies, pricing and other offerings are subject to change and may have changed since the date of this answer.

    We have booked a Bahamian cruise and I need verification on passports. I am divorced and my decree states I have permanent physical custody and I do not know the location of my ex husband. Do we need passports? I have seen we do not.

    Hi, Kristie!

    Congratulations on booking a Disney Cruise Line (DCL) vacation!

    According to the Travel Documentation Page of the DCL Planning Center, all guests claiming U.S. citizenship, including children, who board a cruise ship within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present one of the following documents as proof of U.S. citizenship for each member of their party:

    * A valid, unexpired U.S. Passport
    * A valid, unexpired U.S. Passport Card
    * A valid, unexpired state-issued Enhanced Driver's License (where available)
    * Trusted Traveler Program Card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
    * Original or certified copy of their birth certificate - Guests 18 years of age and older are also required to present a photo ID issued by a Local, State, or Federal Government agency with the birth certificate.
    * A Consular Report of Birth Abroad or a Naturalization Certificate - Guests 18 years of age and older are also required to present a photo ID issued by a Local, State, or Federal Government agency.

    Yet, I have to give my plug for getting a passport whenever you travel outside the U.S.  Having a passport prepares you to travel wherever you desire, and it offers an extra level of security while outside the U.S. For example, in the unlikely event that you experience a family emergency during your cruise and need to return home via air from a foreign port, you would already possess the appropriate identification needed to travel.

    As far as your custody situation, it's always best to consult your attorney before traveling with your child(ren) outside of the country to avoid any controversy on your vacation. I hope that helps you plan.

    Have a wonderful day and a magical vacation. Bon voyage!

thumbnail image for Andi

Meet the Panelist: Andi, Alabama

Anchors aweigh! Time to set sail aboard Disney Cruise Line, and I'm just the mom to help you navigate the waters of planning. From stem to stern to ports of call, I'll show you the ropes of pixie-dusted vessels filled with magic and adventure. Learn More About Andi

Didn't find what you were looking for? Click the Ask a Question button to open the Ask a Question dialogue box. If you are not logged in a dialogue box will appear to signin in order to ask a question.

To submit your question, please sign in now if you have not already done so.

Ask a QuestionOpens the Ask a Question dialog box.

Update Browser

For a better experience browsing this website, please download an updated version of Internet Explorer.

Or you can continue browsing without updating.